Okay, So Let Me Get This Straight!

Does anyone ever say to you, "Huh? I don't get it?
Maybe you see confusion printed across their faces as well! 
I hear you, I just don't get it. I've read it, but....
 
Kids love to have their parents read to them. Why, because they might use different voices for all the characters, even act out a incident or two. This way, children could comprehend what the writer was saying.

As a writer, we should make it self-explanatory. I'm an adult, I don't want my kid to have to tell me what I just read.

So...Plotting your story becomes essential to your audience. Each event should show progression. Like in Science class, if you do this, this follows. If I read this happening, then....

MaryAnne shivered as her toe made initial contact with the icy water. Each step was excruciating but she would make it. The last thing she wanted Lane to think was that she was a wimp. The idea of a hot shower weaved in and out of her thoughts. Standing below the pulsing spray and letting it remove any chill that linger. Heaven would be the quick disappearance of goosebumps, and replacing it with a warm blanket of heat. The tail fin of a great shark sliced through the water. I'm sorry - say what!!!! How did she get a shark in her shower?

Get me out of the shower and show me the lake or the ocean, or whatever the large body of water is, that would house a great white shark. Toss in a few lines of dialogue, something. I like to read a book that takes me from 'what a shame' to 'way to go' one step at a time.

Plotting out your story allows you to chronologically lay out your chapters with conflict and follow through with your resolution. Study books on our craft. Make it so that as you imerse yourself into a book that you aren't pulled out wondering, "how in the hell did we get there?"

Plot & Structure, James Scott Bell
Conflict, Action & Suspense, William Noble
GMC, Donna Dixon
Plot, Ansen Dibell.
 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Can Still Remember the Days We Communicated in .... English!

Did You Know I Didn't Know?

Es dos nicht eine O Tannenbaum?