Pages

Sep 1, 2010

Examiner.com: Unhealthy homes contain airborne toxins by Doree Anderson

Airborne mycotoxins may be thriving in your home. Tiny spores pass through our nasal filters causing numerous medical symptoms. The root of this evil is not indestructible, Mold can be avoided or removed.
Mold arrives innocently enough. The moist sweat shirt from the fall drizzle is tossed into a plastic container. It sits, damp and forgotten for a few months in the corner of the laundry room. With the assistance of a few environmental ingredients; temperature, nitrogen, oxygen, and moisture, we have the perfect recipe for mold.
Feed it with doses of oil and dirt. Before long, this fungi will adhere to wood, sheet rock, insulation, fabric, Styrofoam, fiberboard or drywall, and proliferate causing an unclean environment. Mold has become a prime factor in several health issues. Family complaints include dizziness, flu-like symptoms, breathing difficulties, and memory and hearing loss. In some incidences, allergy suffers are unaware that they are breathing in mold spores. It may begin with a mild cough but graduate into chronic bronchitis.
Black mold or Strachybotrys chartarum, is the most dangerous form. Extreme illnesses from these spores include mental deficiencies, chronic fatigue, fibromyalgia and many more. Black mold is greenish-black and slimy in appearance. Not only is it airborne but it can attached itself to people and animals.
Preventative steps need to be taken to control the spread of mold. Anywhere there has been a leak or sustained water damage, make sure that the area is thoroughly dried. Try to keep carpet off of basement floors. Flooding without professional cleanups is not recommended. Mishaps happen all the time and without proper ventilation, mold will spread inside flooring and wall cavities. Check for moisture in closets, bathroom cabinets, the refrigerator drip pan, house plants and garbage pails.
Always use the exhaust fans in bathrooms and kitchens. Keep your home well vacuumed and clean. Soap and detergents will remove the mold stain but doesn’t kill the mold. A bleach based product will clean and remove the toxins.
For more information contact Utah Disaster and Clean-up at www.Utahflood.net/mold/removal.
Educate your self and family through such places as www.firstresponseutah.com; www.Tilex.com/mold or Utah Department of Health www.health.utah.gov/ Common Health Building, 288 North 1460 West, Salt Lake City, Utah.
Remember: A healthy home shelters a healthy family.

No comments:

Post a Comment